Wednesday, February 17, 2010

On The Ground

On the ground

A Poem by Sarah McKeever Hitt

My feet haven't touched the floor since

that day you told me that you loved me.

I am still way up high on the hopes you whispered

as we danced to that quiet band in the distance.

I feel like I am never going to be able to be with another man

after the times you rubbed your fingers on my arms

chilling me to the core with how you made me feel.

It doesn't help to tell you all of this

because even after all the years we spent holding on to this

I know that you have stopped looking at me like that.

Please give me the respect I deserve

and not lie about where you went last night after you left me

I have never done well knowing that what I need was also needed by someone else

But tell me this, doesn't it matter at all that you were mine first?

My friends think I am putting too much hope in you

and I know that is true, but I can't help the fact that I am in love with you.

It doesn't matter to me that I have to be the fool for you

Just please don't lie to me when I ask you where you are going as you leave me

Because I know that you have stopped wanting me

but I have to believe that somewhere under all of your wandering thoughts

You still remember those promises you made to me

way back in the days when my feet were still on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment