Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Message In A Bottle

Message in a bottle
-a poem by Sarah McKeever Hitt

When will I get to tell you
the truth that I have never said?
I am not sure anymore if I was in the wrong
or for that matter if there is any wrong at all?
Were we not just kids?
I hope so because otherwise I am not the kind of girl I thought I was

I want to shake this guilt I harbor
and I want to put it in a bottle and send it to you.
Moreso when you get the package sent overnight to you
I want you to open it and call me instantly
and tell me that I was not who should have kept it all this time

After you dispell the judgements I held on to
ask me about what I have been doing since we seperated
Dig deep to find the things I don't offer freely to you
mostly make me believe that you really want to know
and I will tell you everything
even when I know it is in my best interest to stop talking.

And so it will go for hours
as we get to know each other again.
No more awkwardness from what we never realized
that we have never said.
Maybe that night, when I am in my bed and my eyes are closed
I finally won't pray for the chance to tell you that I am sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment