Wednesday, February 17, 2010

First Moment Of The Rest Of My Life

First moment of the rest of my life.

A Poem by Sarah McKeever Hitt

This is the first moment of the rest of my life

Where I am truthful and bold

This is the first time,

where I worry not about if you find out I am talking about you

Because I am.



The truth will set me free from the hidden demons of my youth

from a time when I had to be the girl my parents planned me to be

This is the first moment where I throw off my jacket

to show myself to you with complete abandon and faith

At last honest



This time I can't be the one to just lie back and let you walk away

without the slightest bit of revolution in my breath when I tell you not to go

I am not the same victim who cried for years about the cruelty of destiny

I will not stand quietly by as you waste the rest of your life

without me in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment