Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Charity

Charity.
A Poem by Sarah McKeever Hitt

I miss the laughter
how it screamed loudly from me
it was you
It was always you that brought that out of me
God knows how I needed that
because my heart was young.
Your outstretched hands
told me that I can be safe
If I would just come with you.
I wanted to
You have to know that I wanted to.
But your arms were strangers
and my body was innocent.
And yes, I knew it was impossible to fall
with the safety net you put up
securely holding my pride in place
as you attempted to make us happily ever after.
But I ran from you anyway
not trusting that your intentions were long lived
I found a man I thought to be regal
and he stole from me,
like you never told me he would.
He ran off leaving me empty handed
He tore down all of my defenses
reducing me to a ghost of who you knew
And now here I am
knocking on your door late at night
Eyes closed desperately praying to god for your charity.



© 2008 Sarah McKeever Hitt

No comments:

Post a Comment